"If a dog bit a man, that is not news. If a man bit a dog, that is news"

2/28/2010

Sticky!





I had always admired the beauty of ideas, visions and wisdom people portray in their art. Art is such an expressionism of oneself and I had always admired that. From the brilliance of individuals such as Andy Warhol's modern art to Edgar Mueller's street paintings, I just thought that I could not be more impressed, but the participants of Scotch Packaging Tape art contest proved me otherwise.
Imagine creating something spectacular only using Scotch tape. Call me crazy but this is what the applicants must do to enter and show the judges what their masterpiece. I was marvelled by the entries! There were sculptures of a dragon, a postman, a child on a swing, a jellyfish, a peacock, an octopus, a fisherman and a pregnant lady. Both the fisherman and the pregnant lady used 4 rolls of tape. Meanwhile sculptures of a drumset and an office desk used 48 and 36 rolls respectively.

The winner will receive 3200 pounds when judging takes place next month. That is a whole lot of money and but the winner will be known worldwide for his/her contribution of art in a new medium.
The see-through sculptures look amazing and real! I am also impressed by the strength and durability of Scotch Tape that is able to produce so many artwork such as this. Let's try to build a sculpture on our own!

No comments:

Post a Comment